Monday, January 14, 2008

A little understanding

As I was driving home from seeing a movie the other night, I was struck by how sometimes I can feel the plight of the fictional characters and sense their pain. It maybe fake and some director designed the scene to tug at one's emotions, but it made me understand a little about how the Savior can comprehend our struggles. I almost came to tears (which I hardly ever do) in the car thinking about how much the Savior can love me even when I don't understand everything going on in my life. He does. He comprehends. He loves. The Atonement is designed to take away all this life's pains, sufferings, as well as sins. Alma 7: "11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people."

I think for most that the Atonement won't take away those pains in this life. We still have to deal with the effects of the pain throughout our lives and we can learn from it. Yet we should look forward to the day when we will be completely healed by Jesus.

1 comment:

epadavito said...

I'm glad a movie caught your heart - that is why I love movies so much - because of that emotional appeal and connection you can find to gospel truths - I cried when I watched X-men II becuase of a scene very much like the atonement